Monday 6 February 2012

Opshopologists Monica and Andrew furnish their house in style

Waiting room chairs $10 each from Vinnies 

Set of 4 dining chairs for $10 on ebay and fashionably refashioned by Monica

Danish sterling steel serving platters with teak handles


How old were you when you first started op-shopping?
I've been op-shopping for furniture and homewares since I was 18. I remember it clearly because it was my 18th birthday and I bought myself a very old but beautiful chair for $10. Buying furniture made me feel very grown up!

How much of your furniture has been bought at op shops?
We only have a few special pieces. Op-shopping is all about the hunt for me so I'm fairly picky about what I actually buy. 

What is your favourite piece of op shopped furniture?
I bought three 'waiting room' chairs at St Vinnies, Sumner Park. They had six in total but I could only fit three in my house. They were $10 each. I love that they have a kind of commercial look. My dining room chairs were definitely the biggest bargain though. I managed to 'win' a set of four for $10 on eBay. I recovered them with stripey fabric despite the original upholstery being oh-so fabulously retro chic. They were too damaged to use though. I'm also building up quite a collection of stainless serving serving wares. My favourites are these danish ones with teak handles. 

Why do you like to buy furniture from op shops?I love finding one-off, pre-loved items that you can't find new. I also love the charm of 'old things'. 

Do you have any good tips for buying recycled furniture?
Unless you are skilled, beware of items that require major repair but don't be afraid of objects that just need a good clean.

Is there a particular shop or area that you would recommend for finding furniture bargains?
St Vincent's, Sumner Park is a favourite and Lifeline Megastores are excellent too.

No comments:

Post a Comment