Saturday 18 February 2012

Opshopologist of the week: Jill


She's a jewellery designer with a flair for vintage designs and a passion for recycled fashion


What is the first thing you do you do when you  enter an op shop?
I don't really have a ritual in this respect. I think it depends on which op shop I'm in and what they have laid out where.

You are an avid recycled clothing shopper. How did your interest in second hand clothing start?
As a kid, my mom always took me to charity shops. We hardly bought any clothes new, ever. It has always just been a normal part of life. It wasn't until I started Uni that op shopping started to be perceived as cool.

What is the one thing we should know about you?
I'm an Ebay addict. If it's for big stuff, I go straight to Gumtree. Second hand or handmade is second nature. Buying new things just doesn't make any sense.

What is the best advice you could give to those who are new to op shopping? 
Patience, young grasshoppa. You usually have to dig to find the good stuff. Oh, and STAY AWAY from second hand underthings. Blech.

How would you describe your sense of style? 
I told my mom once, "I think I figured out what kind of girl I am. I'm the kind of girl who wears Doc Martens with Tutu [my grandma]'s pearl necklace." Now, 20 years later, that's still true.
What is your favourite jewellery to wear with your recycled clothing?
Jewellery from www.BlueSerendipity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment